Nothing says summer like peach pie. And my favorite way to make them is in these mini mason jars! These paleo mason jar peach pies are so cute in their individual serving size. And they are so simple to make! Check out the recipe and how-to below!
Paleo Peach Pie In Mason Jars
When I was in my early twenties I decided one summer to perfect the art of the perfect peach pie. I hand selected the best fruit and played around with different spices and crust options. Finally, I settled upon my version of the perfect peach pie. Not too sweet, with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg and a little bit of citrus zest. This perfect peach pie became my go-to dessert for several summers in a row.
To be honest, I kind of forgot about that peach pie. I had to dig around in my old cookbooks to find the hand written and stained recipe notes that I took.
So, because it is peach season after all, and since it has been 20 years since I made that original peach pie, I want to recreate it here for you. But this time, I am going to make the perfect paleo peach pie!
How to Make the Perfect Pie
The perfect peach pie needs just a few ingredients to set it apart from the crowd. Cinnamon, nutmeg and freshly zested lemon rind. To keep this peach pie recipe paleo, I used a bit of coconut sugar to sweeten the juice and some tapioca flour to absorb any excess liquid. The rest I leave up to the fresh and in-season ripe peaches. After all, I think the best fruit desserts let the produce do the work!
You want to peel and cut the peaches into 1 inch cubes and let them sit in a bowl sprinkled with the coconut sugar mixture for a half an hour or so. The sugar pulls the liquid out and also creates a syrup. Then you will know how much tapioca flour to use to absorb some of that liquid.
Now, some could argue that this isn’t actually pie, since there is no crust. But, I think these paleo mason jar peach desserts are still worthy of being called a pie! And you could make a paleo pie crust and line the jars with it like I did with my Mason Jar Apple Pies. I love this recipe for Perfect Paleo Pie Crust from Holy Grail Status.
The paleo crumb topping on these peach pies is made of a mixture of almond flour, grass-fed butter, raw almonds, sea salt, coconut, maple syrup and spices. The nuts create a truly crunchy topping that rivals any oat and flour based crumble topping. Even my kids gobbled these up!
Spoon the peach mixture into the mason jars and top with the crumble topping. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Then top with this insanely delicious Paleo Vanilla Bean Ice Cream! Holy yum!
Paleo Peach Pie Recipe
Paleo Peach Pie in Mason Jars
- 3 tbsp grass-fed butter cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch sea salt
Peach Pie Filling
- 8 peaches peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1-2 tsp tapioca flour depending on how juicy your fruit is
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and pit the peaches. Cut into 1" cubes and place in large bowl. Add sugar, lemon zest and juice and spices. Stir well to combine. Let sit while you make the crumb topping.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add almonds and pulse to chop lightly. Add the remianing ingredients and pulse to create a pebble consistency.
- To the bowl of the fruit, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of tapioca flour to adborb any excess liquid.
- Place the mason jars on a baking sheet. Fill each jar to the top with the peach mixture. Top with crumb topping.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until juices are bubbling and the topping is golden brown.